[rrd-users] Re: adding datasources to existing RRDs using XML

Paul Wickman paulw at explosive.net
Tue Jan 11 23:05:39 MET 2000

> you might want to consider to NOT add new rows to existing RRAs but rather
> have more RRAs ...

	I, for one, have been bitten more than once (with Cricket, and
other things using RRD that I've tried/written), when I wanted to monitor
a new variable of an existing target.  I have to either trash all my old
data, and start with a new archive, with the new ds, or start a seperate
file.

	Storing each ds in a seperate archive doesn't seem very effficient
either.  I haven't done any tests to back it up, but surely updating 1
file with 1,000 datasources would be quicker than opening 1,000 seperate
files.