[rrd-users] Re: 'Rolling up' RRD's

Rainer Nagel rainer at angor.de
Thu Jan 13 08:03:21 MET 2000

Hi Ian,

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 08:30:54PM -0800, Ian Holsman wrote:

> I was wondering if there is a way to merge a group of rrd's (with the
> same definition) into one,
>
> What I plan on doing is to  a  'detail' RRD for each machine, and then
> to have a summary RRD covering machines
> for example which are load balanced. And then have one RRD for a
> backbone ... etc etc. (like a pyramid)
>
> Is there a easy way to do this?

I have built an perl script for this. Every value can be computed in
a different way. Say the number of bits transfered will be added toge-
ther, but the latency will computed as the maximun of all.

Aktually the target RRD has to have exact the the same definition as the
source RRD's. I want to circumvent this requerement befor releasing it,
but you (and everybody else :-) ) may have it in the actual state.
A second thing is that i may change the calling syntax in the future.

> or am I better off just having a huge CDEF in a graph which adds them
> all up?

I decided against this, because we have different numbers of mashines in
different locations so that the graph statement would be different.

Ciao
--
Rainer Nagel
Rainer.Nagel at tashrah.com