[rrd-users] Re: 'Rolling up' RRD's

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Thu Jan 13 08:04:31 MET 2000

Yesterday you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] 'Rolling up' RRD's:

*> Hi.
*> I was wondering if there is a way to merge a group of rrd's (with the
*> same definition) into one,
*>
*> What I plan on doing is to  a  'detail' RRD for each machine, and then
*> to have a summary RRD covering machines
*> for example which are load balanced. And then have one RRD for a
*> backbone ... etc etc. (like a pyramid)

I am not sure I realy get the structure you have in mind nor the operational
details ...
*>
*> Is there a easy way to do this?
*> or am I better off just having a huge CDEF in a graph which adds them
*> all up?

CDEF is certainly an option to get data from several RRAs ... I have been
thinking about devising a mechanism to allow RRDs to have other RRDs as data
source. This would allow to run certain special long range qconsolidation functions
which are not possible with a single rrd ...

cheers
tobi

*>
*> Thanks