[rrd-users] Re: cdef + rpn

Shaun Nicholson Shaun.Nicholson at kp.org
Thu Jan 13 14:31:04 MET 2000

This is what I use to get Utilization using RPN
CDEF:in_ave=100,in_bits,1000000,/,*     for input
and
CDEF:out_ave=100,out_bits,1000000,/,*      for output

Works for me

ncalvert at cabletron.com on 01/12/2000 07:09:00 PM
To:	rrd-users at list.ee.ethz.ch@Internet
cc:	 (bcc: Shaun Nicholson/MD/KAIPERM)
Subject:	[rrd-users] cdef + rpn

hi all

I have a problem converting a calculation to RPN and perhaps someone can
help.

The calculation I have to do is of the form :

( ( <octets per second> * 8 ) / <bandwidth in bits> ) * 100

to return a percentage of bandwidth used.

The two forms I've tried with CDEF are :

o,8,*,b,/,100,*

100,b,o,8,*,/,*

where o = octets, b = bandwidth in bits

Neither one gives the correct answer - can someone perhaps explain it
more clearly to me?

cheers

Neil