[rrd-users] Re: v1.0.8 width affecting height scale?

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Wed Jan 19 22:50:11 MET 2000

Monday you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] v1.0.8 width affecting height...:

*> I tried creating four seperate graphs, 2 graphs rendered in 2 different
*> formats.  One format was the standard 100x400, the other format was
*> 100x200.  I'm using rrdtool 1.0.8.  All other graphing options are sources
*> are the same.  The graphs are just different sizes.
*>
*> The vertical scaling on the average size graphs show the the vertical
*> legend going from 0-7m.  However, the smaller graphs show the scale from
*> 0-4m.
*>
*> The data that is GPRINTed is also matching the scale of the graph, even
*> though it should be the same data.
*>
*> Is there something I'm missing?

yes, what rrdtool does in the smaller graphis to resample the data so that
it fits the resolution of your graph. As you can see only the spike gets
smaller because it gets averaged across a longer time periode than with the
wider graph. The other data towards the end does not change significantly

now if you are interested in the spikes and their hight you should not use
AVERAGE but rather MAX ...

cheers
tobi
*>
*> The graphs can be seen at "http://graphs.onvoy.com/test2/".
*>
*> --                      _______________
*>  Chris Josephes      __/ MRNet/Onvoy   \
*>  chrisj at mr.net    __/   www.onvoy.com  /
*>
*> --
*> Unsubscribe mailto:rrd-users-request at list.ee.ethz.ch?subject=unsubscribe