[rrd-users] Re: v1.0.8 width affecting height scale?

Chris Josephes cjoseph at mr.net
Wed Jan 19 23:05:38 MET 2000

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> yes, what rrdtool does in the smaller graphis to resample the data so that
> it fits the resolution of your graph. As you can see only the spike gets
> smaller because it gets averaged across a longer time periode than with the
> wider graph. The other data towards the end does not change significantly
>
> now if you are interested in the spikes and their hight you should not use
> AVERAGE but rather MAX ...

Ahh, okay. Thanks.  I tried re-creating the same graphs using the MAX
values and the graphs appeared to be similar.

Is there any way I can have rrdtool not perform this relative scaling?  My
original idea of the smaller graphs was to be able to put two graphs next
to each other for a quick overview before the user scrolled down to the
more detailed graphs.

 Chris Josephes      __/ MRNet/Onvoy   \
 chrisj at mr.net    __/   www.onvoy.com  /