[rrd-users] Re: gigabit interfaces

Simon Leinen simon at limmat.switch.ch
Thu Jul 6 15:25:27 MEST 2000

> All we need to do now is have the manufacturers with Gig interfaces
> always provide IfHCInOctets etc and the world will be simple.  In my
> experience, too many machines have higher speed interfaces without
> providing the 64bit counters to support them!

Don't be so quick to blame the vendors... as I said, SNMP agents that
let you access Counter64 variables using SNMPv1 are buggy.  This is
stated quite clearly in RFC2576, section 4.1.2.1:

  "[...]
   The impact on multi-lingual command responders is that they MUST NOT
   ever return a variable binding containing a Counter64 value in a
   response to a request that was received using the SNMPv1 message
   version.
   [...]"

So you have to use SNMPv2 or SNMPv3 to access the 64-bit counters.  As
long as Cricket doesn't have a supported way to select SNMPv2 (which
is implemented in the underlying Perl SNMP library), it's not easy to
make use of Counter64 variables which are implemented correctly (such
as those in Cisco's SNMP agents).

Regards,
--
Simon.