[rrd-users] Re: Total throughput problems

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Thu Jun 8 23:56:10 MEST 2000

Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] Total throughput problems:

*>   Hi all ...
*>
*>  I use rrd on some regular on/offline devices, ie. cable modems.
*> Graphing the traffic usage is just good.. but also, I would like
*> to get the total throughput.     However, in such environ ( lots
*> unknown & device reset ) ,  rrd seems to average only the
*> known records and leads the wrong total throughput ..
*>
*>    I am wondering  is there something  like unknaszero or
*> unknaslastkn in rrd ( I did see a mail in developer archive
*> regarding this,  but I just can not make  it done ) ..  idea ?
*> better ways ?    after all I wrote a set of little  programs to  ensure
*> that I update rrd everytime, even the device status is unknown.
*>
*>       However, I think this might be conflict with some rrd's
*> good points on  'unknown'....   at least, without any trick, we still
*> can do pulling out all the  5min data per day to do accounting by
*> our own before they're averaged.   mmm...

use CDEF to tet fro UNKNOWN and replace it with 0

cheers
tobi
*>
*>     cheers,