[rrd-users] Re: More on Price Graphs :)

Chris Snell chris at bikeworld.com
Wed Jun 14 03:09:59 MEST 2000

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Winton Davies wrote:

>   However, now I am reaching performance issues. I have about 6000
> different graphs... and at what would appear to be a large fraction
> of a second per invocation, it seems unscalable for my purposes.

If you're Perl-saavy, check out my Bronc package:

	http://bronc.blueaspen.com

Use your scripts/programs/whatever to do the RRD updates but use the
Grapher component of Bronc to produce your graphs on-the-fly, only as you
need them.  There's no reason to produce 6000 graphs once a minute (or a
day, even), if only 200 of them are going to be viewed on any given
day.  I think you'll find the graph-on-the-fly aspect of Bronc to perform
quite well.  On my FreeBSD-based Pentium II 400MHz machine (w/ 256M ram),
Bronc cranks out a RRD graph in a fraction of a second, with no noticable
system load.  mod_perl rocks! ;-)

On a side note, as soon as I get back from Wyoming vacation (provided that
I do not die while climbing the Grand Teton this weekend), I'm going to be
releasing a new version of bronc, complete with some nice new features,
better code commenting, and many bugfixes.  The big new features will be
on-the-fly image scaling via the Perl interface to ImageMagick and data
gathering via unix CLI programs.  You won't be limited to gathering SNMP
data--anything that can output numerical data on the command line can be
gathered.

--
Chris Snell <chris at bikeworld.com>		210.828.5558 W
Systems & Networks Architect			210.602.2308 M