[rrd-users] new log2rrd beta - handles MAX values, etc.

Dave Plonka plonka at doit.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 23 23:56:19 MEST 2000

MRTG and RRD users,

A coworker and I have modified "log2rrd" - the utility to convert from
MRTG log files to RRD files - to handle the MAX values as well.  I just
couldn't bring myself to discard years of MAX data from all my ".log"
files.

I think we're getting good results, and I'm releasing it for "beta"
testing.  It is available for now at:

   http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka/log2rrd/

The current README file is below.

What's in it for you?  This might be a good opportunity if you have an
MRTG install running and want to make it less resource intensive by
going to the most recent MRTG, specifying "UseRRDTool: Yes" in your
config file(s) and maybe using the 14all grapher.

At this point I'd love your help in testing log2rrd, by comparing the
raw data or graphs with those from MRTG.  Specifically, this would
help:

  * NT testers (does log2rrd work under NT? Does XML::Parser work under NT?)
  * Testers with various versions of perl, rrdtool, XML modules
    So far, I've tested it with:
      - Linux, perl 5.6.0, rrdtool 1.0.21, XML::Parser 2.28
      - Solaris, perl 5.004_04, rrdtool 1.0.14, without XML::Parser
        (without XML::Parser, one must use "-n" option and discard MAX values)

If you try it, please give me feedback including which versions of
those tools and log2rrd itself you used.

Thanks,
Dave

README for log2rrd
------------------

HEY!  This release of log2rrd should be considered a BETA!
It can be found at:                                  ----

   http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka/log2rrd/

Please do not link to this URL from elsewhere as it is meant to be
temporary, for use during beta testing.  Please help me to test it so that
it can be considered for the "contrib" portion of the rrdtool release.

Now on with the real README:

			       log2rrd

   Log2rrd is a simple tool for converting MRTG logfiles into round robin
   database (RRD) files.  The original version was written by
   Wrolf Courtney <wrolf at concentric.net> and Russ Wright <wright at LBL.Gov>
   with an early test version of RRDTOOL (mrtg-19980526.08).  This
   version has been modified to work with the current shared-perl release
   of RRD (RRDs).  - Alan Lichty, (an earlier author of log2rrd)

A coworker and I continued development of log2rrd based on Alan Lichty's
log2rrd.pl that was supplied with rrdtool through rrdtool-1.0.24 (at least).
This version handles MAX values from the MRTG log files, introduces
command-line options, and has this updated usage:

 log2rrd [-hnv] [-0 ds-name] [-1 ds-name] [-t type] [-o outdir] file.log [...]
                 -h - help
                 -n - don't handle MAX values
		      (mnemonic: 'n'o MAX values)
		 -v - verbose
		 -0 ds-name - name for Data Source "zero"
			      (defaults to "ds0" if not specified)
		 -1 ds-name - name for Data Source "one"
			      (defaults to "ds1" if not specified)
		 -t DST - Data Source Type
			  (defaults to "COUNTER" if not specified)
		 -o output_dir - output directory for resulting RRD file(s)

 $TMPDIR - where to write temporary files

I regret that I have not provided licensing information with this utility.
That is only because I have not been in contact with any of the previous
authors (email either bounced or I have not yet received a reply), so I
can't determine if it can be GPL'ed, ARTISTIC'ed, or what.  If you were one
of the authors - please send me your input!  Thanks.

--
plonka at doit.wisc.edu  http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka  ARS:N9HZF  Madison, WI