[rrd-users] Re: new log2rrd beta - handles MAX values, etc.

Rainer Bawidamann Rainer.Bawidamann at rz.uni-ulm.de
Mon Jun 26 12:22:49 MEST 2000

In article <20000623165619.A10553 at doit.wisc.edu>,
	plonka at doit.wisc.edu (Dave Plonka) writes:
> A coworker and I have modified "log2rrd" - the utility to convert from
> MRTG log files to RRD files - to handle the MAX values as well.  I just
> couldn't bring myself to discard years of MAX data from all my ".log"
> files.

Great! Thanks for your work!

Some comments:

You create the rrd files with the rras (steps:rows, MAX/AVERAGE each)
       1:600 / 6:600 / 24:600 / 288:600
(altough the documentation says 732 rows for the last rra). But the mrtg
log files contain older data: The rras of a rrd file overlap (all end
"now"), the "rras" of a mrtg log file not (they "append"). I think The
Right Sizes (TM) for a mrtg-compatible rrd file is:

       1:600 / 6:700 / 24:775 / 288:797

The next obvious question is why you don't create a xml file from
scratch instead using rrdtool to create a rrd file, than a xml file ...
- but I know the answer (you would have to do the maximum/average
calculation for some values yourself)  :-/

And what about reading a mrtg config file to look for
the log files and the datasourcetype? ;-)

Anway - good work!

Rainer

PS: The modified log2rrd does not create a RRA with "MAX:..:1" - of
    course this RRA wouldn't make sense, but if you set the "withpeak"
    option in the mrtg config file to 'd' (yes, mrtg allows this), the
    values for the daily peaks will be fetched from the 30min RRA. Looks
    ugly but I don't think that's a problem (cause doesn't make sense).
Rainer.Bawidamann at rz.uni-ulm.de