[rrd-users] Re: compile on MacOS X

Peter Lalor plalor at infoasis.com
Wed Jun 28 17:00:57 MEST 2000

>From: Keith Makuck <makuck at email.unc.edu>
>
>Anyone have any ideas on how to get this to compile in MacOS X?
>
>OS X is a Mach kernel, so I would think that it would work, but I can't
>even get past "sh configure":
>
>checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host
>type; you must specify one
>
>A uname -a on this thing tells me:
>1.1 Darwin Kernel Version 1.1: Sat May  6 20:49:29 PDT
>2000; root:xnu/xnu-74.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh powerpc
>
>According to Apple:
>
>	    Mac OS X supports POSIX file system semantics
>             and NFS file sharing, ... [marketing hype removed]
>
>             The systemUs kernel, which does the heavy lifting to
>             support all those rich applications, is based on Mach
>             3.0 from Carnegie-Mellon University and FreeBSD
>             3.2 (derived from the University of California at
>             BerkeleyUs BSD 4.4-Lite)...

Search the archives; I've been working on this for quite awhile. I
haven't yet succeeded, but I have got quite a bit closer than you.

Are you using the latest RRDtool? I don't recall that specific
problem with RRDtool.

To fix the problem you're seeing you'll need to swap in a
config.guess and config.sub that knows the system type. I use the one
from the gnumake 3.79 install, as those files know about my system
type. This allows configure to happily recognize my system type, but
make still fails (for me).

Other things I needed to do to fix subsequent make errors (Thanks to
Scott Anguish of StepWise):

1. You need to edit /System/Library/Perl/rhapsody/Config.pm and remove all
references to "-arch i386"  this is something that has slipped through

2. Edit the make files after you configure, and remove the references to
-lm

All that should get you to the point that I am: it won't make. Let me
know if you get it going.

Also, the Mac OS X Server list is generally very helpful, although
no-one there is using (or attempting to use) RRDtool to my knowledge.
--

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor at infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/

"Where's my burrito?" -- Homer