[rrd-users] gigabit interfaces

Michael Smith msmith at datafoundry.net
Thu Jun 29 23:57:14 MEST 2000

We are relatively new to using rrd and I wanted to get an
opinion/clarification on a configuration.  We have a generic interface
configuration that consists of

<filename>,
"-b$boot_time",
"-s300",
'DS:InOctets:COUNTER:600:U:U',
'DS:OutOctets:COUNTER:600:U:U',
'RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:105408',
'RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700',
'RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775',
'RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797',
'RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700',
'RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775',
'RRA:MAX:0.5:288:797'

Here is the delimma.  Some of the interfaces are Gigabit links.  With the
default step of 300 seconds, these interfaces can wrap more than once.
Mathmatically speaking, they can wrap once every 34 seconds if fully
loaded.

So, if we reduced the step to 30 seconds, im guessing we have to
increase the number of samples kept by a factor of 10 as well.
Is that correct?  Has anyone else dealt with this before (high volume
counters constantly wrapping) and what was your solution?