[rrd-users] Re: gigabit interfaces

Gellatly, Laurie Laurie.Gellatly at vodafone.com.au
Fri Jun 30 00:28:11 MEST 2000

That sounds correct to me. Unless you can retrieve ifHCInOctets etc (which
are
64bit counters) then your only real choice is to decrease your sampling time
to < 34 seconds to be sure your counters won't wrap.

You don't need to keep 10* the number of samples IF you are happy to let
RRDTool
do the consolidation for you. i.e. if you originally had an RRA that kept 30
hours
of 300 second samples (as the primary RRA) then you could now, for instance,

have a different primary RRA that kept say 3 hours on a 30 second sample and

have that consolidate into the next RRA (the original 30 hours of 300
second)
by averaging the data. The graphs that you are producing now would still
have
an RRA to work directly from and, IMHO you would achieve what you are
looking for
with minimal extra data storage (1 additional RRA).