[rrd-users] Re: Help with spikes

Jon Rust jpr at vcnet.com
Thu Mar 9 00:10:53 MET 2000

At 12:01 AM +0100 3/9/00, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
>Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] Re: Help with spikes:
>
>*> I'll see if I can take your previous suggestions and make a go of it
>*> so as to avoid future 600Pbps spikes.
>
>hmmm the 600Pbps look realy bad ... this can not realy be a MAX
>issue ... the value is to high ...
>
>any chance that your mrtg script has a
>
>use lib ....
>
>pointing to an older release of rrdtool or rather you were using an
>older release when the spike apeared ? The problem we had with an
>earier version of rrdtool was that the 'spike' would apear ANYWHERE
>in the graph ... this was only a problem with FreeBSD though ...

No, the only version of RRDs anywhere on the system is:

    package RRDs;

    use strict;
    use vars qw(@ISA $VERSION);

    @ISA = qw(DynaLoader);

    require DynaLoader;

    $VERSION = 1.000131;
    <snip>

And, no, this latest spike happened last night. Near as I can tell,
it happened at about the same time I was editing the config file to
include "Options[target]: bits" to a few or my graphs.

Yes! I am running FreeBSD. Could it be an OS-specific problem still?

jon