[rrd-users] Re: Help with spikes

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Thu Mar 9 00:25:10 MET 2000

Yesterday you sent me mail regarding Re: [rrd-users] Re: Help with spikes:

*> At 12:01 AM +0100 3/9/00, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
*> >Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] Re: Help with spikes:
*> >
*> >*> I'll see if I can take your previous suggestions and make a go of it
*> >*> so as to avoid future 600Pbps spikes.
*> >
*> >hmmm the 600Pbps look realy bad ... this can not realy be a MAX
*> >issue ... the value is to high ...
*> >
*> >any chance that your mrtg script has a
*> >
*> >use lib ....
*> >
*> >pointing to an older release of rrdtool or rather you were using an
*> >older release when the spike apeared ? The problem we had with an
*> >earier version of rrdtool was that the 'spike' would apear ANYWHERE
*> >in the graph ... this was only a problem with FreeBSD though ...
*> >
*>
*> No, the only version of RRDs anywhere on the system is:
*>
*>     package RRDs;
*>
*>     use strict;
*>     use vars qw(@ISA $VERSION);
*>
*>     @ISA = qw(DynaLoader);
*>
*>     require DynaLoader;
*>
*>     $VERSION = 1.000131;
*>     <snip>
*>
*> And, no, this latest spike happened last night. Near as I can tell,
*> it happened at about the same time I was editing the config file to
*> include "Options[target]: bits" to a few or my graphs.
*>
*> Yes! I am running FreeBSD. Could it be an OS-specific problem still?

well I would not hope so, but it would be interssting if you could
store the values you feed to rrdtool so that we might be able to
figure out what is causing the problem ...

cheers
tobi
*>
*> jon