[rrd-users] Re: Problems Compiling RRDTool on Slackware 7

Dave Plonka plonka at doit.wisc.edu
Wed May 10 20:33:09 MEST 2000

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 12:32:47PM -0400, Mike Romero wrote:
> I'm having a problem compiling RRDTool 10.0.21 on my Slackware 7 system.
>
> I do not have a tcl interface
>
> If i do a
> sh configure --enable-shared
> and
> make site-perl-install
>
> i get --
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../src/.libs/librrd_private.a',
> needed by `RRDs.c'.
> Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving Directory `/usr/local/rrdtool-1.0.21/perl-shared'
> make: *** [site-perl-install] Error 2

Mike,

This sounds very similar to the problem we discussed with
rrdtool-1.0.17 in the thread titled "Re: problem with compiling rrdtool
1.0.17" (see the list archive), that Tobi has sinced addressed in some
fashion.

Do you have a "src/.libs/librrd_private.al" at that point in the build
process?  If so, we temporarily worked around the problem on Solaris
with this kludge:

   $ find . -name '*private*' -print
   ./src/.libs/librrd_private.la
   ./src/.libs/librrd_private.al
   ./src/librrd_private.la
   $ cd src/.libs
   $ ln -s librrd_private.al librrd_private.a # kludge
   $ make
   $ # success!

> if i do a regular
>
> sh configure
> make
>
> i get a bunch of --
> "warning: pointer of type `void*' used in arithmetic

The exact error message with source line numbers would be helpful to
determine if the code does indeed rely on pointer scaling by doing
addition on pointers to objects of undefined size.

> although it will compile..
> when i finally go to do a
>
> make install
>
> it errors out
> can anybody help me?

We would need to see the error messages, but I would try the
"--enable-shared" with the suggestion above.

Dave

--
plonka at doit.wisc.edu  http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka  ARS:N9HZF  Madison, WI