[rrd-users] Re: icmp measurements with rrd?

BAARDA, Don don.baarda at baesystems.com
Thu Nov 2 02:10:12 MET 2000

G'day yet again,

	I just re-read this, and I'm not sure I answered your question last
time. I think I confused you with 'entering at those [exact] times'. I
didn't mean feeding the sample to rrd at the moment the sample occurred, I
was referring to feeding the data to rrd with a timestamp exactly aligned
with an rrd "step", known as a "Primary Data Point" (PDP). This is a
(normally dodgy) way to avoid 'resampling', which is what rrd does to align
arbitrary timed samples to fixed interval PDPs.

	When entering data into rrd, you can specify the time of the sample
(it doesn't have to be 'now'). The moment you feed the data to rrd and the
timestamp on the sample are different things.

	Don