[rrd-users] "Smoothing" a graph

Phil Henningsen PhilH at astrology.com
Thu Nov 2 04:44:40 MET 2000

I have an RRDatabase that saves five ABSOLUTE variables (MIN, MAX &
AVERAGE) with readings taken at 5 minute intervals.  Two of the variables
are "sparse and bunched".  For example, the 6 readings over 30 minutes
might look like: 0, 10, 0, 12, 2, 8.

This causes the "two day" chart (where the horizontal grid lines are 1 hour
apart) to look like a seismograph during an earthquake.  That is, the lines
are very jagged over a wide range.

Is there any way, while graphing, that I can use an average "as if" it were
sampled over a longer interval, thereby smoothing the graph?  That is, in
the example above, the total over 30 minutes is 32, and I would like the
graph to treat it as if each of the 6 readings were 5.333 or at a rate of
1.0666 per minute.

If I look at a two day interval way back in history, say 6 months ago, the
charts have the "smoothed" effect that I would like to achieve in the
current period.

Thanks for your assistance.

Phil Henningsen
Programming / Development