[rrd-users] Re: HELP: Compile on HP-UX 10.20

yves.wouters at belgacom.be yves.wouters at belgacom.be
Tue Nov 28 10:57:56 MET 2000

Hello guys,

I also still having problems with rrdtool under HP-UX but I have not always
the time to work on it.
See my different mails in the mailing list.

I was able to compile rrdtool with static linkingtype.  (see link below).

http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/rrd-users/msg01943.html

During the make install I had the following error:

install:  perl-shared/blib/arch/auto/RRDs/RRDs.bs does not exist
*** Error exit code 1

and

install:  perl-shared/blib/arch/auto/RRDs/RRDs.sl does not exist
*** Error exit code 1

These two files I received from frederic.defferrard at alcatel.fr and copied
those
into the right place.Thanks Frederic.

After the compiling process I did a make site-perl-install so RRDTOOL was
able to find
all libraries.

This does not mean that RRDTOOL is working now. Executing the binary rrdtool
is resulting now in a coredump (I use rddtool in conjunction with Big
Brother http://bb4.com).

/usr/local/bb14h/ext/larrd/la-graph.sh[88]: 19207 Memory fault(coredump)
/usr/local/bb14h/ext/larrd/la-graph.sh[54]: 19277 Memory fault(coredump)
/usr/local/bb14h/ext/larrd/la-graph.sh[66]: 19360 Memory fault(coredump)

There must be someone who was able to compile RRDtool under HP-UX. (Frederic
;-)
I think there is a need for a special procedure to follow for getting
RRDtool compiled on HP-UX.

Hoping it will work on a day I'm waiting for the guru's answer.

Yves...

Nice to hear that there is hope...  I'm trying to build from the latest
rrdtool-1.0.28 tar ball.

I'm using the following packages under HP-UX 10.20 (from the HP porting
center):

binutils-2.9.1-sd-10.20.depot.gz
gcc-2.95.2-sd-10.20.depot.gz
perl-5.6.0-sd-10.20.depot.gz
make-3.79-sd.10.20.depot.gz
           -- plus --
autoconfig-2.13-sd-10.20.depot.gz
gzip-1.2.4a-sd-10.20.depot.gz
m4-1.4-sd-10.20.depot.gz

After the swinstalls, I modified my /etc/PATH to include all the /opt/*/bin
directories of the packages above.  I have installed these packages on a
virgin machine (no Softbench or other HP compilers installed) and still no
success.

Did you use the HP porting center's packages?  Or did you build
gcc/binutils/perl from scratch?  Am I missing something I need to get the
compile working?

How did you configure?  I have tried a few ways...

sh ./configure --prefix=/opt/rrdtool-1.0.28
--and--
sh ./configure --prefix=/opt/rrdtool-1.0.28 --enable-shared

With the above configurations, I get problems when building the perl-shared
subdirectory.  The error is that it cannot find the rrd_private library
(which does appear to be at ../src/.libs).  The '--enable-shared' flag does
not seem to make a difference in getting this error.  Specifically, from the
perl-shared directory, I run a gmake and get the following:

LD_RUN_PATH="" ld -o blib/arch/auto/RRDs/RRDs.sl -b -s -a shared
RRDs.o -L../src/.libs/ -lrrd_private -lm
ld: Can't find library for -lrrd_private
gmake: *** [blib/arch/auto/RRDs/RRDs.sl] Error 1

Is there something obviously wrong here that I'm missing?

--Nathan

Nathan Harris
P-Com, Inc.