[rrd-users] Re: trying to use PREV in a CDEF

Steen Linden Steen.Linden at ebone.net
Fri Sep 15 13:50:58 MEST 2000

Hi Clarence,

PREV is accumulative, so you can't use it for a calculation just involving
the two latest DS values. PREV is suitable for producing sums for
e.g. volume based billing (CDEF:sum=PREV,UN,0,PREV,IF,n,+).

You can store the difference between the latest two samples by using an
exta DS of type DERIVE in addition to the GAUGE. It takes up extra space of
course.

Best wishes
Steen Linden
GTS Ebone