[rrd-users] Re: Trouble building rrdtool-1.0.28 on BSDI

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Wed Sep 20 20:59:52 MEST 2000

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 03:08:07PM -0700, David Williamson wrote:
> I'm having some toruble installing rrdtool-1.0.28 on a BSDI3.1
> machine.  In particular, I'm having trouble getting through 'configure'.
> Here's the end of the configure run:

> Your Compiler does not do propper IEEE math ... Please find out how to
> make IEEE math work with your compiler and let me know (oetiker at ee.ethz.ch).
> Check config.log to see what went wrong ...
>

> I'm using gcc:
>
> : davidw at goofy:5 ; gcc --version
> 2.95.2
>
> I would expect that gcc does ieee math fairly well, I hope.  Any
> suggestions?

  We used to use BSD/OS 3.1 (BSDI) here, and upgraded the last of our
3.1 servers to 4.1 only earlier this year.

  First of all, in my experience most open source packages build a bit
more easily in BSD/OS if you update to at least 4.0.1 (4.1 is current.)
I'd highly recommend doing that, as if I recall correctly 3.1 is no
longer being directly supported with patches by BSDI.  I also suspect
BSD/OS 3.1 has more security holes.

  Second, and directly related, the earlier BSD/OS releases do not use
gcc as their default compiler.  Instead there's a cc (or shlicc) which
works with the built-in shared libraries (not a glibc type library.)
Some packages build OK with gcc in 3.1, some work much better with the
BSDI cc.  With 4.x and up, this issue mostly goes away.

  So if you can't upgrade right now, I highly recommend trying the
build again with the other C compiler, and then start planning an OS
upgrade.  (Of course if you're out of your support contract, I guess
the latter's out of the question; but for my money the support is well
worth it.)
  -- Clifton

 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr at lava.net
      The named which can be named is not the Eternal named.