[rrd-users] migration from mrtg to RRD: strange gifs

Peter Kassies pkassies at chello.nl
Tue Apr 3 21:51:29 MEST 2001

Hello world,

I'm using the log2rrd.pl script to migrate from mrtg to rrd, without losing
the history. It works great.
I'm trying to understand the difference between the way mrtg stores data
into its logfile and how rrd stores it.

The reason for this is that when I convert my mrtg logs to rrd and create a
nice gif, the gifs don't match.
Well they match ok, but the displayed data in/out rate in bits of an
interface isn't equal.

Now I'm quite sure the mrtg gif shows the correct interface i/o. The gif
generated from the rrd seems to be averaged somehow for it has lower values.
I've read enclosed README with log2rrd, but fail to understand. It does
mention something about averaging, but I don't understand it quite.

Enclosed is an example. The 172 is generated by mrtg, the mercury.day.gif is
a gif created via rrd.
Available at: http://194.151.177.107/tmp/

What I'm trying to understand is that the generated gifs are normal and that
it is not something I have overlooked.
Or have I?

If anyone can point me into the right direction, I would appreciate it very
much.

Thanks,

Peter Kassies

Let op: met de overgang van A2k naar Chello
is mijn email adres gewijzigd.

Mijn nieuwe email adres is:
pkassies<removethis>@chello.nl

Verder nog wat voer voor de Carnivore van de FBI.
Jihad, sabotage, explosives, nuclear, America, President