[rrd-users] Re: RRD usage and disk I/O

Michael Heiming michael at heiming.de
Sat Aug 4 22:35:14 MEST 2001

Clifton Royston wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 12:53:17PM +0200, Michael Heiming wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I'm currently developing a RRD/MRTG solution, my problem is, running
> > MRTG/RRD from cron, that with about 20 machines at the moment and
> > around 20 .rrd files per target, the load gets pretty high, while
> > opening all those small files.
>
> Try switching to a smaller number of files per target with multiple
> DSes per RRD file, this may improve performance.  (No guarantee, but I
> think it will substantially reduce the number of disk writes and of
> course directory accesses.)
>
>   -- Clifton

Thx, Clifton and Owen for the info, I didn't knew this was possible,
however I'm unsure howto implement this with my current setup, using
the
latest mrtg & rrd versions, I'm using mrtg config files with the
'LogFormat: rrdtool' entry, the target names do reflect the .rrd file
names.

Is there somewhere an example config file, that shows how this gets
setup?

I'm going to use hardware RAID1/U-160 SCSI, but getting all data from
one machine
in one .rrd file would really improve the performance. On the other
side I'm running
apache & mod_perl on the machine, I tried RRDGrapher.cgi, but it can't
create
dynamic .png, the docs say that it wouldn't work with mod_perl.
Creating pictures
from multiple .rrd is not a problem, as long as I run rrdtool from
cron, generating
a few pictures.

Thanks

Michael Heiming