[rrd-users] Re: RRD usage and disk I/O

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sat Aug 4 22:53:19 MEST 2001

Today Michael Heiming wrote:

 | Clifton Royston wrote:
 | >
 | > On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 12:53:17PM +0200, Michael Heiming wrote:
 | > >
 | > > Hello everyone,
 | > >
 | > > I'm currently developing a RRD/MRTG solution, my problem is, running
 | > > MRTG/RRD from cron, that with about 20 machines at the moment and
 | > > around 20 .rrd files per target, the load gets pretty high, while
 | > > opening all those small files.
 | >
 | > Try switching to a smaller number of files per target with multiple
 | > DSes per RRD file, this may improve performance.  (No guarantee, but I
 | > think it will substantially reduce the number of disk writes and of
 | > course directory accesses.)

my tests show, that given your machine has about 250 MB ram you
should be able to run rrdtool with up to 1000 rrd files updated
every second ...

it is vital though that you are using LOCAL disk ... rrdtool does
not work well across the network ... you will go down to maybe 20
updates per second ...

chers
tobi

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland