[rrd-users] Re: Multiple results in graph, using NRG at the moment.

steve rader rader at ginseng.hep.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 9 21:05:47 MEST 2001

 > From: "Alan Knipmeyer"
 > I have seen a few posts about plotting multiple interfaces within one
 > graph, which is exactly what I`m after. At the moment I`m using the NRG
 > frontend, but cannot find a mailing list for it to post to.

There is no NRG mailing list at this point--I hope to implement
one sometime before the end of this fall.

 > What I`m looking to do is to have http response and dns lookup time for
 > the host in one graph, having the the first byte and total page load
 > time is a goal, but at the moment just getting the two graphs to combine
 > will be a result.

NRG doesn't fully support what you want: at the autoconfiguration
layer, NRG (currently) can't do what you want because each
autoconfigured web page has to graph data sources from one and
only one RRD.

At the configuration layer (eg hand crafted .conf strings)
it would be pretty easy to do what you want... assuming you
(or I) hack nrg-bindresponse to allow for

 nrg-bindresponse -query some.web.server some.dns.server

then try something like

 System[SomeURL-resp]:              x.x.x.x
 RRD[SomeURL-resp]:                 /urls/SomeURL-resp.rrd
 GraphWebPage[SomeURL-resp]:        /urls/SomeURL-resp.cgi
 Variable[SomeURL-resp][dns_lookup]: \
   `nrg-bindresponse -query some.web.server some.dns.server` GAUGE
 Variable[SomeURL-resp][resp_time]: \
   `nrg-tcpresponse x.x.x.x 80 "" "GET / HTTP/1.0\n" HTTP` GAUGE
 CalcDef[SomeURL-resp][total_time]: dns_lookup,resp_time,+
 Graph[SomeURL-resp][dns_lookup]:   green AREA
 Graph[SomeURL-resp][resp_time]:    blue STACK
 Graph[SomeURL-resp][total_time]:   black LINE1

(just a morph of examples/bind-queries.conf and Default.conf, btw.)

And then once you have that working, I will (or you can!) use
nrg-discover-skel to create nrg-discover-url to wholly automate
url graphing and distill it's configuration down to a .mconf
entry like:

 SomeUrl: DISCOVER_URL http://some.server/some/url.html

I would very much like for NRG to have this functionality,
but (as I alluded to in private to Alan) it's not gunna happen
while it's still nice outside here in Wisconsin!

steve
- - -
systems & network guy
high energy physics