[rrd-users] Odd Behavior on MAX determination?

Pedro Goncalves pgoncalves at net.telepac.pt
Fri Aug 10 03:09:41 MEST 2001

Hello

Sorry for posting this message again, but i need some urgent help with this.

Im trying to get some stats about protocol usage from our network.

I collect data every 5 minutes and store it on a mysql db.

Upon mining request i create a rrd db with the following info

--start $start --step 300";
DS:ftp:ABSOLUTE:600:0:U
DS:http:ABSOLUTE:600:0:U
DS:smtp:ABSOLUTE:600:0:U
DS:pop3:ABSOLUTE:600:0:U
DS:irc:ABSOLUTE:600:0:U
DS:nntp:ABSOLUTE:600:0:U
DS:other:ABSOLUTE:600:0:U
DS:all:ABSOLUTE:600:0:U
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797
RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600
RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700
RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775
RRA:MAX:0.5:288:797

When i generate a daily graph, all MAX values are correct but when i
generate weekly graphs apparently rrdtool is unable to show the spikes and
often sums up the 2 highest values.

Is this the default behavior?

How can i obtain only the MAX value for a weekly period?
Here are my def's
DEF:FTP=$dbpath:ftp:AVERAGE";
DEF:FTPM=$dbpath:ftp:MAX";
CDEF:Ftp=FTP,UN,0,FTP,IF,8,*";
CDEF:FtpM=FTPM,UN,0,FTPM,IF,8,*";
GPRINT:Ftp:AVERAGE:\"Ftp      (avg) %6.1lf %s\"";
GPRINT:pct_ftp:AVERAGE:\" %6.1lf%% of Total TCP\\l\"";
GPRINT:FtpM:MAX:\"         (max) %6.1lf %s\\l\"";

Best Regards

Pedro Goncalves