[rrd-users] Re: Bug? was RE: rddtool Heartbeat & Step

BAARDA, Don don.baarda at baesystems.com
Fri Aug 10 08:12:26 MEST 2001

G'day Tobi,

Last time I looked, xff only came into affect when accumulating multiple
PDP's into RRA's, and heartbeat specified the max amount of unknown that was
acceptable when determining PDP's. It's possible that it has changed since,
if so then my description on the man pages could be wrong now.

It would actually make more sense if xff specified how much unknown was
acceptable when determining PDP's too. The code when determining a PDP used
to do something like if "total_unknown > heartbeat, PDP=unknown" (Note...
total_unknown in this context is number of seconds worth of "unknown"
included in this PDP). It would make more sense if it did something like "if
total_unknown/step > xff, PDP=unknown".

Perhaps I should download and examine the latest source....

ABO