[rrd-users] Re: RRD & Fonts

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sat Aug 11 10:08:12 MEST 2001

Yesterday Cliff Savage wrote:

 | I can do a style sheet and change fonts and point sizes on the HTML
 | page itself - No problem. I'd like the font used inside my graphs produced
 | by RRDTool to be a sans serif font, & I'd like to be able to specify bold
 | and perhaps point size. Can I specify these things? Do I need to edit
 | the source before compiling? If so, where approximately in the source do I look
 | for the fonts specified for graph legends and graph area ?
 |
 | Alex - you mentioned that (in a previous email):
 |
 |  >You can't define the height and width of the complete image.  You
 |  >can only set them for the graphing area.  Since the title uses a
 |  >font which height is known, you should be able to rely on it's
 |  >height.  If you need to set the sizes in your HTML page, it's best
 |  >to use the numbers that are generated by RRDtool.  If that's not
 |  >possible, you will need to either alter your HTML page after editing
 |  >the graph script, or alter the width and/or height of the canvas.
 |
 | So what font and point size can RRDTool be relied upon to provide?
 | (It doesn't look like a sans-serif font, and it looks to be about 12pt.,
 | maybe 10.)
 |
 | I'm not concerned that my choices of font/point size/style might not
 | be available on a different computer - I'll take steps to insure that.

If you are using the 'official' rrdtool then you will be using a
lucida sans typewriter font ... rrdtool at the moment can only work
with monospaced fonts ...

I have been thinking about using truetype fonts or rather let you
use truetype fonts, but have not yet found a sensible way to let
users configure this ... for example the whole alignement of
strings is very simple now due to the monospace fonts but will be
much more dificult with fonts of variable width ...

Also it is not clear to me how to sensibly allow font parameters to
be set ... for each string ...

so many questions ...

tobi

 | Thank you.
 |

 | --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ mailto:oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker