[rrd-users] Re: Updating RRD File

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Wed Aug 15 23:28:12 MEST 2001

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 11:06:24PM -0700, Chee Chew wrote:
> I am impressed with Cricket. It is simple and easy to understand. Before I
> start, is anyone has implement using Cricket? Before I go ahead with
> Cricket, I need help to know what exactly it can do in order to go on the
> right track.
>
> Some queries here.
> 1) Can the Cricket collector poll more than 2 snmp values and plot them on
> the same graph?

Yes; it can also do multiple views of the same data.  (For instance,
collect bytes in/out, packets in/out, and errors in one RRD file, but
show these as 3 separate views.)

> 2) Is the Cricket grapher has the same flexibility as what 'rrdtool graph'
> command can do?

Not quite, though close.  It limits how much you can customize and
tweak on a given graph, in favor of having everything automatically
configured by default for every graph, based on its location in the
hierarchy of things you're monitoring.  In the latest in-progress rev,
I believe there's some patches which make it easier to add custom graph
parameters.

system is maintained as a SourceForge project
<http://cricket.sourceforge.net>

I'm pretty happy with it.

  -- Clifton

 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr at lava.net
   WWJD?   "JWRTFM!" - Scott Dorsey (kludge)   "JWG" - Eddie Aikau