[rrd-users] Re: removing rra's

Bjorn Nordbo bn at nextra.com
Fri Aug 17 11:10:32 MEST 2001

Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
> Bjorn Nordbo wrote:
> > RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:8064
> > RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700
> >
> > Ie. 28 days of high resolution (5 min) samples and 14 days om
> > lower resolution (30 min) samples. I presume there's no good
> > reason to keep the second RRA around(?), and thus I would like
> > to remove it.
>
> You can create graphs that plot 30 minutes per pixel. These would
> use the second RRA so it's not wasted.  I'd grow the RRA size by
> 100 rows in order to be able to use them for graphs in a one-hour
> resolution as well (800 rows, consolidated to 400 rows of 1 hour
> at graph time).

Ok, in fact I dodn't post the entire RRA definition:

rrdtool create /tmp/temp.rrd \
 DS:ds0:COUNTER:1200:0:12500000 \
 DS:ds1:COUNTER:1200:0:12500000 \
 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:8064 \
 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775 \
 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5::288:1095 \
 RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775 \
 RRA:MAX:0.5:576:547

The idea was to:

- store four weeks of 5 minute samples
- store two months of 2 hour samples
- store three years of 1 day samples
- store max values for every 2 hours 2 months back
- store max values for every 2 days 3 years back

I mainly use the data for presenting MRTG-lookalike pages. The high
resolution samples are used for zooming in on old events and for
monitoring trends.

Is this definition a bad idea? Should I add RRA's to match the most
commonly used presentation intervals? Do you have any idea on how
much impact this has on graphing time?

> > Is there a good way of doing this (resize to zero doesn't do
> > the trick), except dumping the output to XML, modify it and
> > restore it to anothe RRD archive?
>
> If you like you can write an application that does the proper
> magic.  Every now and then this (kind of) question pops up but
> I think the dump and restore exercise is good enough for the
> occasional change needed.

I think I'll write something. Updating 10000 RRD's manually isn't
exactly the way I want to spend the rest of 2001. :-)

Thanks for your help!

--
Bjørn Nordbø  -  Network Development  -  Nextra Norway