[rrd-users] Re: Dealing with counter resets

Logg, Connie A. cal at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Sun Dec 2 00:05:44 MET 2001

There is (in cisco equipment at least)
an snmp variable that indicates how long it has been since the
counters were cleared.  Read it an check if the time  was since your last reading.
If so, ignore one round of in&out counters.  This also takes care of power failures
and other glitches that may have caused the device to reset the counters.

Connie Logg (cal at slac.stanford.edu), Network Analyst
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
2575 Sand Hill Road (ms 97), Menlo Park, CA 94025
"Happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the road"
-----Original Message-----
From: Sune Stjerneby [mailto:sst at vmunix.dk]
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2001 12:53 PM
To: rrd-users at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [rrd-users] Dealing with counter resets

I'm graphing inOctets/outOctets on a 100 Mbit interface (FreeBSD/ucd-snmpd).

Whenever the machine or snmpd is reset, these counters of course are reset as
well and this causes my graphs to spike abnormally with e.g. 50-100Mbyte/s
reported traffic and generally cause a mess in my graphs (normal graphed traffic
is 300-900kbyte/s).

I'm wondering about two things:

1) Is there a proper way of dealing with this when inserting the data?

2) Is there a way of ignoring the abnormals when graphing the data?
   I tried using --upper-limit and --rigid, which does limit the Y-axis
   but the reported traffic is still there in the textual output, and
   I'd prefer not to force the Y-axis to be at 100mbit constantly.

--
Sune Stjerneby <sst@{vmunix,moof}.dk
 - http://dogcow.moof.dk/