[rrd-users] Re: graphing averages over a week?

Philip Molter philip at datafoundry.net
Wed Feb 14 16:12:07 MET 2001

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 04:07:13PM +0100, Dan Larsson wrote:
:
: On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Paul Slootman wrote:
:
: | I'm using RRD to log things like load average, memory usage,
: | number of users, etc.  This gives pretty graphs which show
: | e.g. that the load depends on the number of active users.
: | However, I can now only show the data for a given day; what
: | I want to do is for every timespan (e.g. 12:00-12:10), average
: | the numbers of Monday-Friday, and then display a single grpah
: | so that the average load at a given time can be seen.
: |
: | Any ideas on how to do that? only thing I could think of was
: | extracting the numbers for each timespan on each day myself
: | and averaging those myself, and then plugging that into a
: | temp RRD after which the graph could be generated. However,
: | this sounds a bit inefficient, and I thought that perhaps
: | there is a readily available way of doing this?
:
: You should tell RRDTool when to begin and where to end.
: AFAIK the default timespan for a graph is 86400 seconds (24 hours).
: So if you don't tell RRDTool otherwise it'll create a graph
: for the default timespan.

Yeah, but that's not quite what he's talking about.  What he wants
is a graph that would be 24 hours long, but would represent data
from the past week.  What he really wants is basically a bar graph
for discrete sections of time showing average usage during those
discrete sections of time.

Yes, I think what you're going to need to do is generate the averages
on your own and then plot a temporary graph.  I wouldn't recommend
using RRD to generate the temporary graph as the RRD creation time
is going to take a little bit of time.  Just pipe the stuff into,
for example, GD::Graph (if using Perl) to get what you need.

* Philip Molter
* DataFoundry.net
* http://www.datafoundry.net/
* philip at datafoundry.net