[rrd-users] Graphing Mail Delivery Time

Dan McGinn-Combs d.mcginn-combs at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 15 14:47:26 MET 2001

Howdy,
I'm writing a small front end for RRD which should be able to graph mail
delivery times. I have a question or maybe two.

The delivery time is asynchronous. That is, I can't go to the mail server
and read a counter. I have to wait until the mail shows up and then check
its headers to get the elapsed time. I was hoping to graph specific areas of
the world in a single .gif image (such as Brussels, Paris, Munich and
Rotterdam).

But I can't count on the mail from all of them being available every time I
check the inbox. So it appears my goal of having a DS for each one of them
in the same RRD is not achievable. In other words, can I update the same RRD
as follows:

rrdtool update europe.rrd --template Paris 989009000:<elapsedtime>
rrdtool update europe.rrd --template Munich 989009000:<elapsedtime>

and so forth.... ?

Failing that, is it reasonable to then graph information from multiple RRD's
so that these locations can still be on the same graphic?

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Dan McGinn-Combs
d.mcginn-combs at mindspring.com