[rrd-users] Inconsistencies between graph and fetch

Philip Molter philip at datafoundry.net
Tue Feb 27 21:07:35 MET 2001

I'm using 1.0.28 on a Solaris 8 x86 box with the Perl hooks.

I've setup a very basic file for testing.  Two fields, 5 second
intervals, starting at time $time ($time is adjusted to be on a 5
second boundary).

  Field test1 is a GAUGE
  Field test2 is a COUNTER

At these times, I put in these values:

  Time       test1      test2
  ----------------------------
  $time + 5    5          8
  $time + 10   3          18
  $time + 15   4          38

When I do a fetch for the time period starting at $time + 5 and
ending at $time + 15, I get these three rows:

  Time       test1      test2
  ----------------------------
  $time + 5    5         NaN
  $time + 10   3         2
  $time + 15   4         4

Thus, using that data, between the times of $time + 5 and $time +
15, I get an average value of 4 for test1 and 3 for test2.

However, if I do a graph using the following values:

  -
  -s $time + 5
  -e $time + 15
  DEF:test1=file.rrd:test1:AVERAGE
  DEF:test2=file.rrd:test2:AVERAGE
  PRINT:test1:AVERAGE:%lf
  PRINT:test2:AVERAGE:%lf

I get back averages of 4 for test1 and 2 for test2.  It's like it's
ignoring the $time + 15 entry for calculating the average value.
If I increase the period by using (-e $time + 16), then I get the
correct values.

Is this just an inconsistency, or is there some reason that graph
ignores the value of the last entry if it falls on the ending time?

* Philip Molter
* DataFoundry.net
* http://www.datafoundry.net/
* philip at datafoundry.net