[rrd-users] Re: Help creating database

Rainer Bawidamann Rainer.Bawidamann at rz.uni-ulm.de
Tue Jan 2 12:48:24 MET 2001

In article <37i15tspdeslh2hu5qsfetlh2aha86rmsn at mail.pineaus.com>,
	frank at pineaus.com (Frank Pineau) writes:

> Ok, I've been beating my head against this for three freaking days and It's just
> not making any sense.  I want a database that gets five numbers once per hour,
> and keeps min, max, avg, and last for 12.5 days.  The problem is, no matter how
> I make the databse, I can't seem to get anything other than NAN's.  Here's my
> latest try:
>
> rrdtool create test.rrd \
>   --step 3600 \
>   DS:field1:GAUGE:600:U:U \

The 600 is the value for 'heartbeat'. From rrdcreate(1):

   heartbeat defines the maximum number of
   seconds that may pass between two updates of
   this data source before the value of the data
   source is assumed to be *UNKNOWN*.

Make heartbeat allways bigger than step, maybe 4000 in this case.

(Maybe rrdtool shouldn't accept heartbeat settings lower than step?)

Rainer