[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool wishes

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Wed Jul 25 04:39:57 MEST 2001

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 09:25:54AM -0600, Bob Engley wrote:
> It is trivial to make a .rrd file from this data.
> So....
> What I would really like is a back-end to .rrd files
> to create MRTG like graphs. And, I don't want to re-invent a new tool
> if such a tool exists. But...from what I've seen
> there are lots of front-ends but little in the way of back-ends.
> I do not want a .cgi to do it , just cron the graphs as we do with MRTG now.
> Since we won't be using MRTG to generate all (if any) of the rrd's,  I won't
> have a mrtg.cfg available.
>
> To summarize:
>   Take the .rrd file and have produce a series of MRTG-like graphs and .html
> files.
> Is there something out there I have missed? Any comments/criticisms would be
> more than welcome.

RRD itself, "rrdtool graph", is the graphing back-end.  It's pretty
much a matter of what parameters you feed it, to get whatever you want
output into the graph.

For MRTG-type stuff, if you want similar time scales, you can probably
work out 90% of the parameters ahead of time for each type of
graph/time period combination and would just need to vary a few, mainly
which file you're graphing from, which data sources you are pulling out
of it, and how you caption them.

You can invoke it from inside a .cgi, you can run it statically on a
daily basis, you can call it from the shell, you can call it in Perl -
you've got a lot of choices.

Am I missing something in what you're asking for?

  -- Clifton

 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr at lava.net
   WWJD?   "JWRTFM!" - Scott Dorsey (kludge)   "JWG" - Eddie Aikau