[rrd-users] Re: obtaining 64-bit counters

Logg, Connie A. cal at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Mon Jul 30 22:39:59 MEST 2001

For years I was using the various snmp access tools from ucd, tricklet, and cmu.
A few years ago when I had to handle 64 bit counters, I researched other snmp packages.
I tried the SNMP Research BRASS package, and ended up purchasing it.  It is fantastic!

See:
http://www.snmp.com/

I had intermittent problems with the other packages failing, but this one has been extremely reliable.
It recovers reliably from network failures and has never crashed my systems(unlike the other packages).

They have several other expensive packages for network monitoring, but all I purchased was the Brass package, and it
was not expensive.

Connie Logg - Network Analyst - 650-926-2879
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
MS 97; 2575 SandHill Road; Menlo Park CA 94025
"Happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the road"

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Boolootian [mailto:booloo at cats.ucsc.edu]
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2001 3:36 PM
To: rrd-users at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [rrd-users] obtaining 64-bit counters

What do folks use for obtaining 64-bit counter values from SNMP?  Is the
Perl SNMP module the only game in town?  I'm using the net-snmp stuff (aka
ucd-snmp, or cmu-snmp for the oldtimers).  64-bit counters are on the TODO
list, but I couldn't find any indication as to when they might actually show
in the code.  Given the ubiquity of gigE, one wonders why they aren't there
already.

thnx,
mb