[rrd-users] Running RRDTOOL with MRTG

HurricaneIndy at aol.com HurricaneIndy at aol.com
Tue Jun 12 18:25:33 MEST 2001

Hey all I am having some difficulties getting this concept down. I would rather not use Cricket or other tools already in development only because I really want to understand this thoroughly first.....
I am currently using MRTG 2.9.15 and rrdtool-1.0.33.

I want to use MRTG to poll routers, dump the info into rrdtools database and then graph the results.

I added the correct paths to the config file like so:

"WorkDir: /usr/apache/htdocs/graph01/$DOMAIN \n" .
"ThreshDir: /usr/apache/htdocs/graph01/$DOMAIN/threshold \n" .
"Options[_]:growright,bits \n" .
"RunAsDaemon:Yes \n" .
"Interval:5 \n" .
"Forks:4 \n" .
"LibAdd: /usr/local/rrdtool1.0.33/lib/perl \n" .
"PathAdd: /usr/local/rrdtool-1.0.33/bin/ \n" .
"LogFormat: rrdtool \n";

Don't mind some of the extra gibberish in there, I am building all this in PHP and hopefully be able to give back to this open source community with a PHP script when all is down and presentable.

But anyways my main question is, I seem to be a bit unclear even after reading the tutorials and what-not how to accomplish this. I seem to have everything working seperately but not as a whole....
I looked at the 14all.cgi script and I know that builds the HTML and Graphs but not sure how that exactly works with rrdtool and MRTG...
So I know this is long and if I missed anything crucial to help troubleshoot this just ask away and I will fill in the gap...
Thanks all...

Indy