[rrd-users] RRD doesn't seem to log my data

Oliver Kuegow ok at sbs.de
Wed Mar 14 12:13:25 MET 2001

Hi everyone!

I guess it's an FAQ, but since is no FAQ and I didn't
find a solution in the list archives, here we go:

I want to use RRDTOOL to log certain attributes about
my proxy-server. Connect Time, Request Time, Transfer Speed.

So I set up a rrd:
--
rrdtool create proxy.rrd DS:t_connect:GAUGE:900:0:U
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:288 \

My Data is being collected by a Perl-Script (every 5 minutes by cron)
and reliably
delivers the correct output-data, which is then feed to rrd by
RRDs::update.

--
RRDs::update ($rrd, "--template", "t_connect:t_request:speed",
"N:$t_con:$t_req:$speed");

So far, so good. But trying to retrieve the collected data from the rrd,
I only get NaN's.  No matter what value I'm trying to store into the
rrd,
it won't accept them.

But when I  run my Script about every 5 seconds, data gets stored into
the rrd.

How can get rrd (or my script) to reliably store the 5-minute averages
into my rrd?

Thanks advance,
Oliver Kuegow