[rrd-users] Re: Trend Line

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Mar 21 21:59:29 MET 2001

Clifton,

I think what Dan is asking for is some kind of "predictor" based on
historical data.  Say 4 weeks ago, utilization was 3%, then 3 weeks
ago it was 5%, 2 weeks ago it was 8%, and last week it was 10%.
I know that this is not a perfect world, but I would say with some level
of certainty that this week will be about 12%, and next week will most
likely be in the neighborhood of 15%.  It would be neat to show a
straight line that would show this "trend" over the next "x" weeks or
until the trend shows a certain percent of utilization (or maybe an
"SLA average exceeded" predictor?).  I'm think about how to do this
one now...

Paul

>>> Clifton Royston <cliftonr at lava.net> 03/21/01 02:32PM >>>
I think you need to define a little better exactly what you want this
trend line to graph.  I didn't quite get it from this description.  It
might turn out that it is doable already, or is something somebody
could tell you how to do if you clarify a little more.

"Growth towards the service level" means what?  Maximum value ever seen
to that point in time (maximum of maximum)?  Exponential rolling
average of the maximum?  Or did this tie in to the percentile
discussion because you want it to graph the 95th percentile over a
rolling time window?

  -- Clifton

 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr at lava.net
   WWJD?   "JWRTFM!" - Scott Dorsey (kludge)   "JWG" - Eddie Aikau