[rrd-users] Re: RRDTOOL Create Configuration

estreigh at nexl.com estreigh at nexl.com
Wed Nov 14 02:37:11 MET 2001

I was thinking exactly the same thing... and I went ahead and gave it a
shot. When creating a database it is prepopulated with Unk data, therefore
the size is immediately evident.

Creating a database with a single data set is unlikely for most and
certainly out of the question for my purposes, so my test includes four data
sets. Also, I want to show the maximum of maxima and minimum of minima in my
graphs (thanks Alex ;-)) so I will use three RRAs, one for MAX, one for MIN
and a third for AVERAGE.

rrdtool create c:\rrdtool\output\estreigh-lptp	\
	--step 300						\
	DS:procPercentUser:GAUGE:900:U:U		\
	DS:procPercentInter:GAUGE:900:U:U		\
	DS:procPercentProc:GAUGE:900:U:U		\
	DS:procPercentPriv:GAUGE:900:U:U		\
	RRA:MIN:0.5:1:525600				\
	RRA:MAX:0.5:1:525600				\
	RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:525600

Disk space used = 49Mb

I have not yet attempted to run regular updates to this database and
therefore I have not built any graphs from it. It took approximately 8
seconds to build the database, which I thought was pretty fast. The updates
do not concern me so much, but graph creation needs to be pretty quick to
meet the demands of my customers. I'll let you know how it goes...

As for you question regarding the method of consolidation, from the manual I
quoath,
" The DEF call automatically chooses an RRA which contains CF consolidated
data in a resolution appropriate for the size of the graph to be drawn.
Ideally this means that one data point from the RRA should be represented by
one pixel in the graph. If the resolution of the RRA is higher than the
resolution of the graph, the data in the RRA will be further consolidated
according to the consolidation function ( CF) chosen".

Regards,
Erik Streight
estreigh at nexl.com