[rrd-users] yscale question

Peter Kassies p.kassies at ptt-post.nl
Wed Nov 14 15:42:58 MET 2001

Hello,

I have some graphs of the bandwidth used by solaris machines. These are
stored in the following rrd:

  # Create an rrd file per interface
  RRDs::create "$home/$hostname/$hostname.$name_interface.rrd",
  "--step", 300,
  "DS:ifInOctets2:COUNTER:300:U:U",
  "DS:ifOutOctets2:COUNTER:300:U:U",
  "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600",
  "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700",
  "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775",
  "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797",
  "RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600",
  "RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700",
  "RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775",
  "RRA:MAX:0.5:288:797",
  "RRA:MIN:0.5:1:600",
  "RRA:MIN:0.5:6:700",
  "RRA:MIN:0.5:24:775",
  "RRA:MIN:0.5:288:797";

Occasionally a lot of data is transfered by the system and instead of
showing in the picture the regular K in the y-axe it switches to legend T or
P. What is the meaning of T and P?

K = kilobits
T = 1000*kilobits
P = 1000.000*kilobits (???)

Is it possible to generate the gifs with a y-axe of kb and when a lot of
data has occured it switchs the y-axe to Mb?

I've looked at the documentation generating gifs. But it has insufficient
examples to make the syntax "come alive" to build my own ideas on it. Sorry.

Any pointers hints, rants are appreciated.

Peter Kassies