[rrd-users] Re: Interoperability of RRD (Solaris8 and NT)

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Mon Nov 19 20:14:48 MET 2001

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 02:15:06PM -0000, Michael Munn wrote:
> I don't know what application you're using for data collection, but, using
> MRTG without the RRD option set up, creates log files that are basically
> standard text files. These can then be copied onto the machine where you
> want to graph the RRD databases.

This would work, but: updating those files in text format causes a
*big* performance hit on the machine doing it.  The old text log format
also causes major inaccuracies in data for sources where you weren't
polling for a while.  These two are the main reasons we mostly stopped
running MRTG here, and I think also two of the main reasons Tobi wrote
RRD in the first place.

If you're going to have to do data conversion anyway, one option would
be to collect the data in RRD files on whatever collector machines
you're using and periodically dump the RRD files to XML ("rrdtool
dump") on the same machine, and on the web server, import the XML files
and convert them to RRD files ("rrdtool restore").  IMHO this would be
preferable to using the MRTG log format, though I can't offer
definitive stats to back up that claim.

  -- Clifton

 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr at lava.net
   WWJD?   "JWRTFM!" - Scott Dorsey (kludge)   "JWG" - Eddie Aikau