[rrd-users] Re: update template

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Thu Oct 4 21:32:08 MEST 2001

Today Shack Toms wrote:

> If an update happens, and not all data sources appear in the template,
> it looks to me like those sources that do not appear are treated as
> though they had the value "U", rather than being treated as though no
> data were presented for that data source.   Is this the way it is designed?

Hi Shack,

Yes ... U mean unkown data which means no data available ...

> The difference is that if my consolidation function is "LAST" and one
> of my data sources, say DS2, has a very long heartbeat (I want a step
> function), then it appears to get reset to "U" on the next update of a
> different data set, one that does not mention DS2 in the template.

the template is manly here to allow you to build in some safty into
the update call so that you do not inadvertedly update the wrong
rrd file (with diferent DS names) ...

all datasources have to be updated synchronously ... this is in the
internal structure of the database .. there is not much we can do
about this as fahr as my imagination carries ... code cotributions,
as long as they are reasonable will be appreciated ...

cheers
tobi

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland