[rrd-users] rrdtool dump/restore problem(s)

Bob Engley Bob.Engley at ualberta.ca
Wed Sep 26 17:43:48 MEST 2001

I'm using cricket and rrdtool 1.0.33 on an OpenBSD 2.9 machine.
Cricket has been collecting data for some weeks now. The
displays are exactly what we want...many thanks to the developers.

I plan on moving to a SPARC platform, so I need to do a
rrdtool dump/restore to recover the archive data.

The first problem I ran into was that "rrdtool restore" complained about
not finding the the min value, and sure enough the value in the xml
file showed unprintable chars, so I hacked a quick perl script to
"rrdtool tune" all of my .rrd files setting the min to "U".
That got rid of the ERROR: min value problem.
But now each of the .rrd files exhibit other errors to do with the xml
tags when I attempt to "rrdtool restore" from the dumped .rrd file

eg.  ERROR: No <\value> tag found
     ERROR: No <\v>  tag found

Nothing about "where" the error is, just that if found an error and
terminated.

I didn't see anything on the mail archive (Of course I may have missed it
;-)
for this specific problem
./You ... take care
Bob