[rrd-users] Re: strange peakes

Joost Stegeman stegeman at xs4all.nl
Sat Apr 13 09:44:20 MEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Frisvold" <Jason.Frisvold at corp.ptd.net>

> I'm using MRTG with the rrdtool option and I'm seeing similar effects.
> Once the rrdtune is run, will it automatically drop the incorrect data
> from then on?  Or do I need to continue dumping and restoring to fix
> this?
If you use MRTG you should use a correct MaxBytes value, it automatically
tunes the rrdfile at every update. You can dump and restore once to fix the
spikes that are already in the rrdfile. MRTG will try to update the rrdfile
with any new spikes, BUT rrd will ignore these updates because they are out
of range. Make sure you set a valid MaxBytes value or you will complain of
MRTG not updating the rrdfile, which isn't true. MRTG does the update but
rrd ignores it.

Tobi: Should there be a warning when MRTG tries to update rrd with a value
out of range? People get confused about this silent behaviour.

> Does MRTG set up the RRD with the proper min and max?
Yes, at every update, so there's no need to recreate the rrdfile or do it
manually.