[rrd-users] Re: Oddly excessive bandwidth reports coming from a T1, read on for details

Matus Telgarsky mit at juilliard.edu
Tue Apr 23 12:22:58 MEST 2002

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 06:13:46 -0400 (EDT)
"Petr M. Swedock" <petr at MIT.EDU> wrote:

>  : On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:29:12 +0700 (ICT)
>  : Olivier Nicole <on at cs.ait.ac.th> wrote:
>  : > >I use rrdtool's STACK type in the graph for ifInOctets, placing it on
>  top: > >of ifOutOctets, so the upper boundary of ifInOctets is indeed a
>  measure of : > >aggregate bandwidth, and this should never exceed 1.54Mbps,
>  which it does : > >quote often.
>  : >
>  : > If you use STACK, then you do not display InOctets, but InOctet +
>  OutOctet:
>  : that's what I said.
>  :
>  : and that aggregate is what isn't supposed to exceed 1.54Mbps
>
> That's incorrect. And it's not an aggregate. It's the addition of
> the 1.5Mb/s IN channel and the 1.5Mb/s OUT channel.  Each direction
> is, itself, 1.5Mb/s.

oh my, I'm so sorry.
people have been telling me that 1.5 is total for in and out, even though that
contradicted my brain saying in and out are separate.  Thanks so much,
this clarifies everything.

I can rest easy because that means my graphs are giving correct data =)

-mateusz-