[rrd-users] Re: Oddly excessive bandwidth reports coming from a T1, read on for details

Petr M. Swedock petr at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 23 12:27:49 MEST 2002

 : : Matus Telgarsky <mit at juilliard.edu>
 :
 : "Petr M. Swedock" <petr at MIT.EDU> wrote:
 :
 : >
 : > That's incorrect. And it's not an aggregate. It's the addition of
 : > the 1.5Mb/s IN channel and the 1.5Mb/s OUT channel.  Each direction
 : > is, itself, 1.5Mb/s.
 :
 :
 : oh my, I'm so sorry.
 : people have been telling me that 1.5 is total for in and out, even though that
 : contradicted my brain saying in and out are separate.  Thanks so much,
 : this clarifies everything.

That's what you get for listening to sales-critters ;-).  A quick (off
topic, but humorous) anecdote: I once worked for a major ISP in their
NOC, where I once had occasion to troubleshoot a T1 frame-relay
circuit that was reported to me as "just as slow as the T1 ISDN I
upgraded out of..." =-)   Seems that one particularly loathsome
salesbot had gotten a gullible bite on the hook that a Frame Relay
T1 was faster than a ISDN T1.... Of course it was more expensive
to boot. For all concerned.

Peace,

Petr

--