[rrd-users] Re: Calculating average when aggregating

Geert van der Ploeg rrd at geert.triple-it.nl
Mon Aug 5 13:38:06 MEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephan Harren" <sh at abovenet.de>
To: "Geert van der Ploeg" <rrd at geert.triple-it.nl>
Cc: <rrd-users at list.ee.ethz.ch>
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 11:19 AM
Subject: [rrd-users] Re: Calculating average when aggregating

> Good idea,
>
> but will the average be built from the first timestamp on with the first
> started rrd or will it be the same like with the graph ? I'm asking
> this, because there may be funny averages if the average will just be
> built from the start of the last rrd on.

I would say that's exactly what you want, isn't it?
You want the average-calculating to start when the first graph gets its
first non-unknown value.

So, If the first non-unknown value will only start after 1/4 of the time in
the graph, the average will be calculated over the remaining 3/4 of the
time.

If you do not want that (but you want to start the average-calculating on
the start of the graph), you could just take the same CDEF as the
nice-line-graph, thus bringing you back in the same position as where you
began.

I hope this helps...

Geert van der Ploeg
Triple IT